Reality Rebel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Reality Rebel

Discussions of alternatives to the conventional schools of thought in philosophy, religion, politics, economics, social issues, and arts/entertainment.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Why Have a Proselytizing Forum?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Realityrebel
Admin
Realityrebel

Why Have a Proselytizing Forum? Empty
1PostSubject: Why Have a Proselytizing Forum?   Why Have a Proselytizing Forum? EmptyMon Nov 09, 2015 12:13 pm

I decided to create a Proselytizing Fourm here in the Discussions Category after reading the OP of a thread goodnewsinc just created over on the NHB Yuku Community. It's a long, long message full of Bible Quotations and is obviously an attempt to convert readers to the poster's particular brand of Christianity. My initial reaction was to ignore the message and not invite the poster to join RR, but after a little thought, I changed my mind. Proselytizing is deeply engrained in a lot of individcuals, cultures, and belief systems, and it makes sense to make positive use of it here, rather than ban it or pretend it doesn't exist.

The dictionary definition of "proselytize" is "to preach your religion or beliefs especially to convert others, or to promote a certain course of action." And IMO, the most important fact about proselytizing is that it's a METHOD, not an ideology. This method is trying to convert others to accept ANY system of belief. The goal can be acceptance of a religion or other spiritual belief system, a political or social ideology, any school of philsophy ... or even belief in complete skepticism. In fact, any serious advertisement or other sales pitch is proselytizing, and so is a lot art and entertainment.

So I decided to create this Forum and invite goodnewsinc to join RR and post here. And of course, any member who wants to proselytize can do it here rather than in one of the other discussion forums. Plus, threads in the other forums that drift into proselytizing can be moved here.
Back to top Go down
https://realityrebel.forumotion.com

Why Have a Proselytizing Forum?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1