Reality Rebel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Reality Rebel

Discussions of alternatives to the conventional schools of thought in philosophy, religion, politics, economics, social issues, and arts/entertainment.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Legend of Sati

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
rcscwc

rcscwc

Legend of Sati Empty
1PostSubject: Legend of Sati   Legend of Sati EmptySat Dec 12, 2015 8:15 pm

Legend of Sati

In the beginning, Brahmma emanated 25 Prajapatis ie creators of living beings. Daksha was responsible creating humans and similar beings. There were humans, of course, which were emanated from Brahmma. Only a few. So, Daksha brought forth 108 daughters. Sati was one of them. She married Lord Shiva against the wishes of Her father.

Daksha passionately hated Shiva and was always looking out to humiliate Him. One he organised a great ritual, for which he invited all the celestial beings. But Shiva and Sati were NOT invited. Sati came to know and wanted to go for the ritual, but Shiva advised Her not to go uninvited. But She thought that She could go to her parental home anytime, without any invitation. So She told Shiva that She would go. So Shiva sent his one of His senior servant Virbhadra as a body guard.

When Sati turned up at her father's place, She was not accorded the welcome due to a married daughter  of the house. Moreover, She was not provided a proper seat at the ritual. When She protested her father Daksha spoke disparaging for Shiva. She was enraged and shamed and jumped into to sacred fire of the ritual. Mean time Shiva wa had an eye on this affair [He is Omnipotent and Omniscient, after all]. So He came there in anger, destroyed the ritual, beheaded His Daksha. Then He lifted Sati's body onto his shoulder and started Tandav, dance of destruction. Worried about the cosmos Lord Vishnu used His discus weapon to chop up Sati's body.

The places where Her various organs fell are the Seats of Power, and are temples of Sati. There 52 of them. One is in Afghanistan, site not located. Two are in Pakistan, Hinglaj [functioning] and another not identified. Two in Sri Lanka and three in Bangla Desh. Others are in India.

PS: Shiva did destroy a ritual a lawful ritual. He did not go unscathed. Lord Shani did gave Him a signal punishment. But that is another story.
Back to top Go down
Realityrebel
Admin
Realityrebel

Legend of Sati Empty
2PostSubject: Re: Legend of Sati   Legend of Sati EmptySun Dec 13, 2015 8:19 am

This version of the Sati myth contains a detail I haven't been able to find for myself. Namely that you refer to Veerabhadra as a servant of Shiva who was sent with Sati as a bodyguard when she went to the ritual. The only references to him that I can find are to him as: "According to Hindu religious beliefs, Veerabhadra is a super being created by the wrath of Rudra (Shiva), when he stepped in to destroy the Yagna (fire sacrifice) of Daksha, after his daughter Dakshayani (Sati) - consort of Shiva, self-immolated in yagna fire." So I'd like to see a list of Shiva's other "senior servants" besides Veerabhadra in the particular mythos you were using.

And I'm very interested in seeing the myth about Shiva agreeing to let Shani punish him. because I wasn't able to Google up a reference to this.
Back to top Go down
https://realityrebel.forumotion.com
regmelocco

Legend of Sati Empty
3PostSubject: Re: Legend of Sati   Legend of Sati EmptyMon Dec 21, 2015 5:42 pm

As always, when I see 108, I am reminded of Hindu astrology where the sky is divided to 27 nakshatras and 12 rashis (signs), and each nakshatra has 4 padas (there are 9 padas in the signs), and those padas relate to the navamsha signs so the sky really has 108 parts. Another myth is about Chandra with 27 wives who was favoring only one (Rohini) so her father (I think it is Twashtri, the celestial architect) has smitten him with tuberculosis so he became thin and stooped but didn't die since he was immortal.
How is the myth about the churning of the sky?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Legend of Sati Empty
4PostSubject: Re: Legend of Sati   Legend of Sati Empty

Back to top Go down

Legend of Sati
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You can reply to topics in this forum
Reality Rebel :: Discussions :: General-